As per guidelines issued by American Academy of Pediatrics’ (AAP), the following actions can help in preventing sudden infant death syndrome.
1. Be it night sleep or a nap, do not leave child to sleep on its stomach. Furthermore, side sleeping is also an unstable sleeping position that must be avoided.
2. Making them sleep in plagiarize reduced the risk of SIDS to a significant level.
3. Soft bedding material should be avoided, with babies being placed on a firm, tight-fitting crib mattress. One can use light sheet to cover up the infant, even though using pillows, comforters, or quilts will add to the vows.
4. Maintain a moderate room temperature. Make sure that the infant is not hot to lay a hand on.
5. Pacifiers at naptime and bedtime reduces SIDS risk as it allows opening of airway and prevents prevent baby from a yawning sleep.
6. Smoke-free environment is another preventative assess.
7. Breastfeeding the infant is advised, which reduces level of respiratory infections and also the curb of SIDS.
8. Honey should not be fed to newborn less than 12 months, as it causes botulism.